Monday, April 19, 2010

Week 3: Social Networking

I have a Facebook account primarily for keeping up with family and friends. I don't send updates very frequently or maintain any farms.

I do see the benefits of libraries having Facebook pages and Twitter accounts because this is how the younger generation communicates. The Tidewater Community College Libraries don't currently have any Facebook pages. It would probably work best for each campus library to have their own Facebook page.

I am impressed with the Facebook page at Run Run Shaw Library, City University of Hong Kong. Check out the photos of their recently renovated library. You can tell that it was renovated with the patrons needs in mind. http://www.facebook.com/cityulib

Has anyone used Twitter at a library conference? I would like to learn how to use it before the ALA conference in June. I met a librarian at the mid-winter conference who said that she got tweets about the best giveaways at the exhibits. She sent two large boxes of stuff back to her library.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Carol,

    I have used twitter at library (and other) conferences. It's really great to connect to other library folk, and extend the conversations beyond just the sessions.

    I put together a basic how-to use Twitter (and other social media tools) in our libguide - it's geared toward teaching faculty, but you might find it helpful. http://libguides.reynolds.edu/content.php?pid=50902&sid=373701

    Mashable has a really good guide to twitter too: http://mashable.com/guidebook/twitter/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your suggestions and user guide. I signed up for Twitter and I will try it out at ALA.

    ReplyDelete